Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Big Red L

In the UK, L is for Learner. A car with a big red L is supposed to indicate a student driver. Driver's education cars are covered with them! Six in back, four in front, one on each side. My predecessor suggested I get a couple magnetic L signs, one for the front and one for the back of the car. It was only £1 for the pair, so I did -- a warning to others that this car may do something stupid at any moment.
I learned this week that it was technically illegal to have big red L signs on my car, especially when driving alone. They are only supposed to be for someone on a learner's permit with an instructor or parent beside them. I was also told that no police officer in Britain would have given me a ticket for having the signs as soon as I opened my mouth and they heard my accent. They understand that an American driving in Britain is learning -- learning to do everything the opposite. Right is left, left is right.

I was beginning to feel as if it would be time to remove them anyway. I'm really doing pretty well. Nervous (white knuckle nervous), sometimes lost, but generally OK. British drivers no longer have any warning.

1 comment:

Ryan Gjerde said...

I've read that a green 'P' is want you want -- with the 'L' you can't drive on the motorway either.